Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Remembering Halle


Yesterday we had to put our kitty, Halle, to sleep. Jack could tell he was getting sick - he was weak, lethargic, and losing some weight. But the boys didn't realize how Halle was doing. We took Halle to the vet yesterday morning, and I was anticipating paying for some expensive medication and having him be "all better" soon. But it was much more serious than that - he had advanced kidney disease and was in kidney failure. He was suffering, and we needed to put him out of his misery. It was very sad - and I knew Ian would be heartbroken. This picture says it all - Ian was VERY attached to Halle. So, we are mourning the loss of our black kitty Halle. He was a sweet companion, especially for Jack and Ian. (Brandon and I are closer to Cheeto, our orange kitty.) I guess it's a part of life - dealing with the death of animals, family members, friends etc... But it's a hard part of life.

5 comments:

Karen said...

I'm so sorry Darla! As a pet owner, I know how quickly those cats and dogs become part of the family. My heart goes out to you and your fam!

Tami Allred said...

I'm sorry. give Ian a hug.

Michelle and Nick said...

Having been through that a few times myself in the past year, I know how hard it can be. I still get a little emotional over some of our pets. Give Ian a big hug for me and tell him if he is really lonely, we would be happy to send him our dog. Of course, you would have to change the name. 2 Jacks running around could get a little confusing. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I am sooo sorry :(

Paige and Jason said...

Darla I am so sorry for that. I too know what its like to help a child through the pain of losing a loved pet. We have gone through it with both hamsters now. Haley got a new gerbil to replace her hamster and it died the next day. Its so hard to watch them be in such pain and you cant take it away. I have just had to make sure that they understand that that is one of the responsibilites of having a pet is understanding that the pet will die someday. soooo hard. Im really sorry