Here's a little history about the town I grew up in. Parowan is called "The Mother Town of Southern Utah". Shortly after the Mormon Pioneers arrived in the Salt Lake Valley, Brigham Young sent a group of people to settle towns in Southern Utah. Parowan is the first town that was settled. The Native Americans that lived in the area called it "Parowan" which means "Evil Water". (An Indian Princess drowned in the little Salt Lake, outside of town, and that's how it got it's name)The Pioneers decided to keep that name. Cool, huh?
Anyway...the picture above is Ian and Brandon at the mouth of a little spring of water. The Mormon settlers spent their first night in Southern Utah by this little spring. That was January of 1851. Must have been a cold night!!! We love to visit this park each year when we are in Utah. There's such a good feeling about the little town of 2000 people where I grew up. I feel blessed to have lived in a great little town, with a wonderful family.
1 comment:
I haven't been to that park in ages. I am going to Parowan this Thursday soooo...weather permitting I think I will take the girls up to that park again. I remember the dedication by Pres. Hinkley when I was about 6 months prego with Kaycee. Fun Fun.
Post a Comment